Possible Ice On Mars Seen By Phoenix Lander Robotic Arm Camera

Scientists have discovered what may be ice that was exposed when soil was blown away as NASA's Phoenix spacecraft landed on Mars last Sunday, May 25. The possible ice appears in an image the robotic arm camera took underneath the lander, near a footpad.

Full article: ScienceDaily

B4N

In Spanish: http://www.escuadron69.net/v20/foro/index....mp;#entry324704

Edited by QazBomber

Guest Darkness

What I cannot understand is ice on mars surface, the pressure is too low to maintain the mollecular structure. Maybe it´s dry ice not water.

What I cannot understand is ice on mars surface, the pressure is too low to maintain the mollecular structure. Maybe it´s dry ice not water.

At -80ºC, I think water's molecular covalent bond is strong enough for maintain the water in a solid state - only guessing.

Regards!!

Oh my Good!!! :shok: that´s really???

Yes, it is REAL. At least *something* proved what the whole scientific community had already suspected - the water presence in Mars poles.

(The first verb is written in past tense because I'm talking about something in the past (near past, really), although in Spanish we usually write it in present perfect. The same with the second verb - they suspected for years until that moment, so it should be written in past perfect. - please, correct me if I have some mistake on this)

Regards!!

At least *something* proved what the whole scientific community have already suspected - the water presence in Mars poles.

(The first verb is written in past tense because I'm talking about something in the past (near past, really), although in Spanish we usually write it in present perfect. The same with the second verb - they suspected for years until now, so it should be written in present perfect, not past perfect. - please, correct me if I have some mistake on this)

I would use the first verb in present simple tense, because is not an action, it is a fact. :unsure:

I would use the first verb in present simple tense, because is not an action, it is a fact. :unsure:

What possibility is better for you?

*Cristóbal Colon discover America

*Cristóbal Colon discovered America

Regards!!

- You use present to explain actions you usually do in your monotony life really :P or absolute/scientific trues (Is there anything absolutely true in this life? :unsure: :icon_mrgreen: )

Regards!!

- You use present to explain actions you usually do in your monotony life really :P or absolute/scientific trues (Is there anything absolutely true in this life? :unsure: :icon_mrgreen: )

I'm not really sure yet... :unsure:

So you'd say "This photo proved the existence of aliens". But what about "This photo proves the existence of aliens". The photo will always prove the existence of aliens.

I'd use the first if I said when the existence was proved.

:unsure: :unsure:

Regards!!

So you'd say "This photo proved the existence of aliens". But what about "This photo proves the existence of aliens". The photo will always prove the existence of aliens.

It depends. If you are in the JPL (Houston), waiting for pictures; when suddenly an alien picture appears into the computer screen, then you say 'This photo proves the existence of aliens' :D . I said scientific had a cue about water existance, so is a past fact, because scientific looked it first, before me.

Anyway, I've read that English people don't use present tense very much, at least not like Spanish people.

Regards!!

Regards!!

It depends. If you are in the JPL (Houston), waiting for pictures; when suddenly an alien picture appears into the computer screen, then you say 'This photo proves the existence of aliens' :D . I said scientific had a cue about water existance, so is a past fact, because scientific looked it first, before me.

You're teacher say to you, pointing out the photo on your book: "This photo proves the existence of aliens". :unsure:

I do know English people don't speak like us, but...

You're teacher say to you, pointing out the photo on your book: "This photo proves the existence of aliens". :unsure:

That isn't correct - even it isn't correct in Spanish - unless your teacher was a schizophrenic woman with conspiracy theories in her head :D. If the picture was taken some month ago - you have to talk about that using past tense. Maybe you can talk about that in Spanish in present tense if you saw the picture in the yesterday newspaper, but in English I think you have to talk about a past fact always in past.

Anyway, you could use present perfect if the Mars probe haven't discovered anything relevant yet, so it is proving the water existence. But I think present simple tense is not correct.

Regards!!

I agree with Qazbomber. It should be "This picture proves the existence of water-aliens-or-whatever in Mars" instead of "This picture proved that same fact".

Why? That past tense implies that the picture proved that fact...and that's it. The present simple, on the other hand, implies a continuity, that is, this picture proved that fact, and it still does, and it will still do it.

I do not know if I explain myself :xd:

Edited by Galahad78

I agree with Qazbomber. It should be "This picture proves the existence of water-aliens-or-whatever in Mars" instead of "This picture proved that same fact".

Why? That past tense implies that the picture proved that fact...and that's it. The present simple, on the other hand, implies a continuity, that is, this picture proved that fact, and it still does, and it will still do it.

I do not know if I explain myself :xd:

So, you say: "Colon discover America", because he discovered it 500 years ago and he still is the discoverer, isn't it? <_<

Regards!!