What Do Us Navy Pilots Read??

Kolmo

It's usual that big organizations or institutions release their own magazines with (sometimes) interesting information about them and the people that works, studies, or is somehow related to them.

US Navy is not different, and so, since the year 1987 releases the bi-monthly issue of Approach Magazine.

Adapting themselves to new technologies, the Approach Magazine can now be downloaded for free from the US Naval Safety Center web page: http://safetycenter.navy.mil/media/approach/default.htm

It's remarkable an article in the last issue (nov-dec 2008, page 30) about the "switchlogy", it's problems, errors and issues, something that, at some extent, has been always present in almost every Falcon and BS pilots nightmares... Hasn't anybody launched just the half of his/her bombs over the target just because he/she forgot to hit the correct switch???. Yes, I did... <_<

In the case protrayed in the magazine, an FA-18 pilot tells how he almost kills some ground crew in a bombing range just because he forgot to hit a switch in the SMS page of his MFD.

As people use to say in movies: "shit happens". :new_russian:

Guest Darkness

That´s very good news, we always have to wait for good free information and aeronautical sources coming outside this country. I will take a look at it, downloading! Have you ever been in a supercarrier? I was, in the eighteens, and it is just amazing.

By the way, "switchlogy" has been a nightmare for engineers and pilots for decades. Since the Vietnam war, thousand of studies about this problem have been developing. Some countries have found the answer to the problem: two pilots. You can see it, for example, with the F/A-18F, this is not a trainer, it is a complete fighter and bomber, and the EA-18G Growler, both of them are two-seat fighters. And Israel is buying a lot of F-16I, it is the two-seat F-16D. They have seen than two pilots are takes more benefits than just one alone.

So that´s the case of the Ka-50 Black Shark, a lot of people agree that is much better the two-seat version, Ka-52 Alligator, because of the two pilots.

Thanks for the info!