Host All Units

Hello

I uploaded the FalconBMS.cfg you want us to use tomorrow friday the 20th.

I 'm not sure you use "host all units" on you server.

So, some words which could be useful.

Regards.

Hi Guys, this is Bad Boy, member of the VEAF ("01.235 Rapaces" Fighter pilot).

I just seen that you don't use the "Hosts all units" patch.

Some time ago, i made a lot of tests, i just make a copy here of my result for you.

Before, i must say that since more 10 months ago, the VEAF always use "the Hosts all units" patch enabled, with a powerfull server and 100Mbit bandwidth => we made a lot of campaign engagement at more than 20 pilots without any problem.

Why ????

Because :

"Host all units OFF" vs "Host all units ON" => CONCLUSION

Hi all

Here are some infos about the MP code after a lot of tests done with the "camp labels" activated

You will see that the Host all units code is better that we thought since always

here is the summary of how i have understood the MP code (thanks to my friend Judy to help me for the translation in english) :

I will not deal with MP position info because they're always peer-to-peer and the necessary bandwidth is about (25kbs/s for upload) and (25kbs/s x number of clients for download), for each connected player.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First and foremost, a few definitions about AI management after Deagg :

When a battalion/flight is deagg by a player, it's controlled according to 2 different statuses "Owner" and "SimOwner" for himself and for all MP players.

Owner => control of a unit (complete battalion/flight => controlled as unique objects (2D combat control : not much impact on CPU usage and even less impact on bandwidth usage)

SimOwner => control of all vehicles (tank SAM launcher, infantry, truck, F16, MiG-29, etc.) part of a unit "battalion/flight" => tens of vehicles controlled (3D combat management, for each individual vehicle : large impact on CPU usage and direct impact on bandwidth usage)

Local => controlled

Remote => not controlled

Examples :

"Owner:local SimOwner:local" => seen from an individual player, it means that this battalion/flight is controlled as a unique object, BUT ALSO that each vehicle in this battalion/flight is controlled by the same individual player

"Owner:remote SimOwner:remote" => seen from an individual player, it means that this battalion/flight isn't controlled as a unique object AND that each vehicle of this battalion/flight isn't controlled by the same individual player

"Owner:local SimOwner:remote" => seen from an individual player, it means that this battalion/flight is controlled as a unique object, BUT each vehicle in this battalion/flight is not controlled by the same individual player

"Owner:remote SimOwner:local" => seen from an individual player, it means that this battalion/flight isn't controlled as a unique object BUT each vehicle of this battalion/flight IS controlled by the same individual player

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I won't go too deep into details, but after the tests I've done in order to understand how agg/deagg works, here are my conclusions :

both MP codes are

- with "Host all units" patch OFF (=> the code we've always used)

- with "Host all units" patch ON

Host all units OFF

This code is supposed to be used with :

- not a particularly powerful host in terms of CPU and large upload bandwidth

- for clients who must have a reasonably or very powerful CPU and a very stable upload bandwidth of at least 512 kb/s

- this, with or without a 2D or 3D server

How does this code work ?

- whatever the situation, the host is the computer that starts the TE/campaign, even if he's not the first one to enter the cockpit, even if he stays in the 2D world, even if he enters the cockpit (3D) before going back to 2D, etc. => as long as he stays in the TE/campaign, he will remain the host (I don't want to explain what happens to the clients if the host CTDs or loses his connection, tests are still under way. We already have some results, but it would be too long to explain here.

- if the host deaggs a battalion/flight : from his point of view, he will see it as "Owner:local SimOwner:local" and the other connected players (clients) will see it as "Owner:remote SimOwner:remote"

- if a client deaggs a battalion/flight : he will see it as "Owner:remote SimOwner:local", all the other clients will see it as "Owner:remote SimOwner:remote" and the host will see it as "Owner:local SimOwner:remote"

This means :

- the host always controls the battalions/flights as unique objects ("owner" will always be "local" for the host) -> very little impact on the CPU and bandwidth usage.

- therefore, the clients never control the battalions/flights as unique objects ("owner" is always "remote" for the clients)

- On the contrary, if a player (host or client) deaggs one or several battalions/flights, he will have to control each vehicle in this battalion/flight (=> SimOwner:local) for all other connected players, which has a direct impact on this player's CPU and bandwidth usage, whether he is host or client. It depends on the number of battalions/flights he has deagged and on the number of vehicles in these battalions/flight. This means he might have to control tens of objects, all tracers shot, all missiles trajectories => try to imagine a client with a small CPU and bandwidth who has to host all this for all other players ... some data will certainly be lost in MP

known bugs in this code :

- random loss of synchro in some MP games, problem source still undefined

Host all units ON

This code is supposed to be used with :

- a host with a very powerful CPU and very large upload bandwidth (about 10 Mb/s guaranteed upload and download)

- clients with modest CPU and bandwidth (upload of 128kb/s is more than enough)

- recommendation => server in 2D

How does this code work :

- just like Host all units OFF : whatever the situation, the host is the computer that starts the TE/campaign, even if he's not the first one to enter the cockpit, even if he stays in the 2D world, even if he enters the cockpit (3D) before going back to 2D, etc. => as long as he stays in the TE/campaign, he will remain the host (ideally, the host should stay in 2D, because there's a huge bug if he enters the 3D world

- the battalions/flights deagged by any client will always be "Owner:remote SimOwner:remote" for the clients

- therefore, these battalions deagged by these clients will always be "Owner:local SimOwner:local" for the host

this means:

- it's always the host who'll control all battalions/flights deagged by the clients : therefore, he will always be "Owner:local SimOwner:local" => huge impact on the CPU and bandwidth usage, especially upload.

- the clients don't control anything, even if they are the ones who deagg the battalions/flights => very low CPU and upload bandwidth usage. But, they must have a stable and large download bandwidth to receive all data sent by the host

Known bugs in this code :

- if the host enters the 3D world (cockpit) : the battalions deagged by clients located at more than 80 Nm from the host will never fire upon these clients : no tracer, no SAM is fired. Therefore, without some prior bug fixing in the .exe => WITH THE PATCH "HOST ALL UNITS" ACTIVE, NEVER LET THE HOST ENTER THE 3D WORLD, HE MUST STAY AS A 2D SERVER

- if the host stays in 2D, there's a bug that has no impact on gameplay : the SAM missiles visually appear (smoke and missile) when they are 15 Nm from a player's position (further than 15 Nm, the missile and its smoke are invisible). But let me assure you that in order to see this bug, you need to activate the labels. Nevertheless, I'm sure it's guided and you really have the corresponding launch alert or guiding spike => I repeat, this bug has no impact on MP gameplay. (=> i'll post a video to show this issue ASAP)

Very important benefits of active Host all Units patch for the gameplay :

- the battalions and fighters seem 10x more aggressive with the Host all units patch active => they don't hesitate to multi-launch onto you (especially SAMs, but also the SAM vehicles of HQ battalions, etc.). It's really wonderful to finally be in a really dangerous environment.

- smoother vehicles control, also of all missile trajectories, etc. because the host correctly controls everything. Of course, the host must have a very powerful CPU and a large bandwidth

The Host all Units MP code is only active for the host, i.e. the computer that starts the TE/campaign, whether the patch is on or off for the clients

There you go, you now know everything

Cheers,

BB

Edited by Rouge

Hi Rouge!!

Actually, we try to make some configurations for our server.... We are trying all the week and this is our .cfg jet, but is not the definitive...Only for tomorrow.

Dont worry, this is stable for flight with a lot of people in campaing, but we continius change parameters for it.... We dont have time to test more choses and we decide give you this for tomorrow´s TE. ;)