Naval Action

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/558-questions-to-developers/

Are you gonna separate the players according to a time period which their ship belongs to or is everybody gonna sail on a open global map ?

It's a complex question: thus the answer is simple - we are not sure yet, on one hand we would like to have a good ship variety, on the other seeing a columbus caravel near a modern frigate built in 1815 might cause problems for some hardcore realism fans. If you have ideas in this regard, please post your suggestions.

I have few questions actually:
- What kind of game engine do you going to use?
- What kind of networking do you plan to use? Is it going to be more like few servers connected to some kind of hive(DayZ) or MMO style with servers, channels etc. or maybe Minecraft like, where anyone can make his own server?
- Which type of gameplay PvP or PvE will be main feature? I'm asking becouse when I read Co-Op gameplay, my mind focus on some story which I can complete with my friends, but from description i get a feeling that game will concentrate on Player vs Player combat (that info about guilds and taking over ports).

• We are using Unity Engine - which is excellent for fast prototyping and testing.
  • Networking - we are working on the design at this stage. We will be able to answer this question a bit later. The question to discuss with the community is this - What is the optimal number of ships on the map from gameplay perspective? And what is the optimal number of ships to have a fun and balanced fight.
  • The development is staged as TV series. We release blocks of content step by step. Instead of focusing on many things we only work on one but try to make it perfect. We are currently focused on fighting and general mechanics. Once we and you like how it works this awesome fighting will work very well with any story with co-op. Would be great to hear from you in the suggestions box some examples of your ideal co-op gameplay for you and your friends.

Will naval action make realism its primary focus? or will realism be sacrificed for gameplay balance? I.E in the real world a Frigate would have stood no chance against a First-Rate Ship of the Line.

Making realism fun is very hard. But good trade-offs are possible. Let's take your Frigate vs First rate situation: in most cases First rate will win. But there are real life examples of British frigates winning against 74s and 80gun ships, because of skill, better maneuver or pure luck.

jokash, on 18 Jun 2013 - 6:23 PM, said:

snapback.png

what are your plans on map navigation or transitioning from world map to sea map ,is it going to be handeled like in age of pirates or like in pirates of the burning seas where you just zoomed out

Not sure yet (as we said before we are focused on doing combat mechanics right first and then start working on the travelling part). POTBS had a good design we think.

The question is - would you like to spend your precious 1-2 hours a day just travelling around a computer map or actually doing something?

http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/558-questions-to-developers/

Storm Hunter, on 27 Jun 2013 - 8:08 PM, said:

snapback.png

Hello,

how many nations do you plan to have? will you include pirates?

what world parts game will be locked into? ( Caribbean, Europe, etc...)

thanks!

:

we have not formed the full opinion on this. Once we start working on the open world, one idea we will be checking out is this. To preserve the full sense of exploration and discovery of the unknown world we are thinking of creating a completely new world. With no maps, new cities and new routes.

Harrow, on 02 Jul 2013 - 04:41 AM, said:snapback.png

I hate to be blunt with this as it may appear arrogant, but we could use a little clarification here.

The real question is: How far are the developpers willing to go on this?

What I found really positive was when I read a comparison with DayZ in "Game Introduction". As a DayZ fan and a fan of the pirate game genre, I think the DEDICATION that the DayZ team put into realism and immersion would be something unique, if brought into an old-era naval game like Naval Action. We all know how PotBS failed in realism as it went directly for the more marketable, "arcade-y" type of game. I think this is the only thing I'm weary of. Being affiliated with fan-made mods from Mount&Blade to Fallout, Skyrim and, more importantly, PiratesAhoy!, I've often delved into realism-oriented mods, where we could bring authenticity to whatever we created, which is even more important in a (somewhat of a) simulation game like Pirates of the Caribbean (the one thoroughly modded by the PiratesAhoy! team for so many years now). Bottom line is: What is the Naval Action team really aiming for? Are you looking for a slightly better PotBS? A mix of the DayZ-type of realism with the pirate genre? Maybe something I personally missed altogether? Let me rephrase it just one more time... What are your goals vis-a-vis realism, with the game?

We are mentioning DayZ in the sense of iterative development and constant and open connection to the community. Hardcore should be fun and this is the approach we are using. If certain element is boring and tedious we will drop it.

http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/558-questions-to-developers/?p=246

http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/558-questions-to-developers/?p=389

CaptainBacon, on 20 Jul 2013 - 8:44 PM, said:

snapback.png

I have a few of questions;

1. Will there be human avatars that can enter ports? (Like PotBS)

2. Will there be dynamic weather in battles that influence the way you handle your ship?

3. Will there be NPCs to fight, or will combat be pure Player vs Player?

Thanks in advance

1) there will be no human avatars, it is a very huge block of development and will delay a game significantly. But as we are adding an animated crew it will be possible to add this feature much later (maybe)

2) we will start researching and testing our ideas with dynamic weather, day and night cycle in August September

3) there will be NPCs of course. We will start working on the NPC AI once we nail the combat mechanics

http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/558-questions-to-developers/?p=417

we have not decided yet on the payment model.

Most likely it will be one of the following

1. Fixed price at the start and then free - like Guild Wars 2
  2. Full Free 2 Play - but with no pay to win.like League of Legends

http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/558-questions-to-developers/?p=508

Otsego, on 23 Jul 2013 - 2:02 PM, said:

snapback.png

1. Will this Game have different game mods like in WarThunder (Arcade,Historical Battle,Full Real)?

2. Will personal skill actually matter or only size of ship?

3. Will Ship collisions do damage to the ships dependent on speed and weight?

1) different game mods (initially no, but who knows)

2) personal skill + size of the ship. small cutter cant sink hms victory no matter what skill they have

3) yes

Our policy is to be completely open and direct with the community. Thus please forgive in advance our direct answers and view on things you consider important.

Here is our view and potential direction on the topic of pirates and navies.

We are currently working on ship combat (i said it like 1000 times already so if you heard it before ignore the message). Awesome ship combat will suit pirates and naval officers and what not. Once this is done and tested well we will then start working on the leveling, skills and crew of ships. Only after that we will start working on the technology of the open world. So trafalgar like organized battles will be in the game immediately from the start.

Now on open world it gets interesting

Most likely the open world will have 3 zones like it is in EVE. Safe zones, faction warfare and lawless areas. Players will be able to choose where to go at their own risk.

Now about Pirates. Navy officer attacking enemy nation trade convoy is mostly a pirate according to that nation convoy captain. But to an attacker he is protecting his nation trade from enemy profiteers. Entrepreneurial commander capturing a rookie naval officer's frigate and running it to a safe is a pirate, but next day he can use this frigate in a national battle against the enemy. It exciting, is not it?

Also - pirates = more players; more players = more targets to sink + more revenue to us, that will lead to a better game as a result.

But let us finish the combat first. and then we will share the design ideas on the open world with navies and piracy.

In the faction warfare (organized X vs X) battles pirates won't matter to anyone including pirates themselves. It's just group of ships against group of ships.

Regarding Piracy.

• Piracy or national allegiance is a way of life. It's not a flag. Like in Eve - Goonswarm or Test could be considered pirates to certain parties. But those are just well organized groups of people fighting for their cause.
  • On the open world we don't see any reason to limit certain groups of people from organizing into something big. In real life pirates were disorganized. I think if they wanted to they could easily capture couple of archipelagos, instead they decided to serve nations (Henry Morgan example).
  • So if a certain Navy want's pirates out of the game they can go and try to "crush them, see them driven away and hear the lamentations of their women".

To recap all this. on the open world there will be no pirates - there will be groups of people who decided to fight against all and raise their own flag over a group of ports (instead of British or Spanish). Players with national allegiance can do whatever they want with those pirate ports, capture them or burn them or leave them alone.

Edited by STARK

http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/558-questions-to-developers/?p=3057

Hello

Wind, on 15 Oct 2013 - 7:16 PM, said:snapback.png

What can you say about ship destruction? What can we expect to see?

a. Simple marks on ship textured hull/ sails.

b. complex (Empire Total War) style, see through holes, planks explode on impact, debris floating around ships, crew jumping overboard, sails catch fire etc...

Thanks.

We don't have a complex system YET. But we plan to expand it over time. Currently planks explode, ships can catch fire. but we are focused on combat now. and are preparing for initial rounds of focus testing. Once we finish it we will work on other priorities decided with players.

But the question is - what would you choose first damage visualization or open map prototype?

BungeeLemming, on 17 Dec 2013 - 1:01 PM, said:

snapback.png

an easy and fast question:

will there be carronades?

short barreled, fast reloading but horribly inaccurate at over ~250 meters. (not sure about that number)

carronades will be in game. they are already modelled - just awaiting implementation

http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/558-questions-to-developers/?p=4636

Wind, on 14 Nov 2013 - 5:15 PM, said:

snapback.png

Will we be able to paint ships? customize sails/flags? ... similar to Potbs.

Thanks.

Flags, Banners, Paint schemes = yes.

Sails probably. (i personally seen no references from the Napoleonic wars that sails were painted), but many players say they want this feature.

Edited by STARK

BrutishVulgarian, on 13 Jan 2014 - 05:05 AM, said:

snapback.png

As others have asked, Will there be shallow water and reefs to allow smaller ships a tactical advantage, in shore?

Will there mountainous waves and storms? PvW Player vs. weather?

Will there be famous ships and NPC commanders? Will I be able to hunt down and sink an NPC HMS Leopard or HMS Shannon?

Shallow water or deep water ports and areas are planned

Huge waves are already in game

cw7VTK1.gif

Famous NPC and commanders - we hope players will become such and you will be hunting them.

• 2 weeks later...

Noticia de última hora!!!

http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/1641-current-development-plans/

Hi Captains.

Here is what we are trying to deliver this year.

1. Pre-order buyers will be invited to the sea trials soon. Those who want to help the development, will join the ranks of focus testers and will provide feedback on combat gameplay and sailing qualities of vessels in game.
  2. 4 new ships will be added to the game: Ontario and Light Brig will definitely arrive; Trincomalee, Santisima Trinidad arrival is probable, but they could be delayed by storms.
  3. Boarding combat will be added (as a simple abstraction of captain orders)
  4. Mortars will be added as a weapon and a Mortar brig will be launched
  5. Prototype untextured forts will be given to testing (light and heavy edition)

We are also working on the:

• item system that will support loot, modules and ship captures and transfer
  • basic beta mission system to provide better incentives to participate in events and player battles
  • simple rank based progression

Prototype open world map needs several things to be implemented before going out for testing, we believe that we can get it done before the end of the year. Initially we will be testing the map size and travel time on the open world. Current size of our Caribbean is 16 mln sq km. It currently takes 30 to 60 mins real time in the fastest ship to reach La Grenade from Guadeloupe.

Edited by STARK

Prototipo de mundo abierto, comentaron que la primera idea fuese el Caribe, y de ahí saltar al Mediterráneo si no me equivoco.

http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/1647-open-world-prototype-ports-suggestions/

Hi Captains

we are choosing the initial prototype ports for the open world. Need your suggestions.

here is the map

JSSsAPu.jpg

larger size direct link - http://imgur.com/JSSsAPu

Please provide suggestions on 5 historical regional capitals for 5 nations, and 25 historical ports for the map

they of course should be evenly placed across the map.

format: use the image provided, place dot for the port, and write the name (engl fr or spanish) and nationality of the port in short form (like en for england)

dont upload the image to the forum - just put it to image hoster like imgur.com and put the bbcode link here

Para aquellos que pillamos el pre-order:

http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/1539-pre-orders-open-for-naval-action/?p=34626

Sea trial fleet announced

These ships will be provided in the game for limited content testing to all pre-order buyers this Autumn. Existing testers can sail as usual.

Sea trials will last approximately for 1-2 months before Early access opens. At least this are our current plans, but there could be delays.
LNphBMT.jpg

high resolution

http://i.imgur.com/LNphBMT.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

bueno pues los rumores vienen y van

Al parecer todos los que han pillado el pre-order, tienen el acceso a la vuelta de la esquina, unos hablan que este próximo martes 21, por ser el 209ª aniversario de la Batalla de Trafalgar, otros dicen que en 2 o 3 semanas.......de que me suena esa frase :glare: :glare: y alguno tester con el que he hablado me ha dicho que puede salir en cualquier momento y que esté atento y listo para el combate....ójala!!!!.

Así que como veis la cosa está más revuelta que en los foros de SC :icon_mrgreen::icon_mrgreen::icon_mrgreen:

Si estáis pensando en pillároslo, yo no lo dejaría para más tarde, ya que no se por cuanto tiempo seguirá presenta el pre-order

¿Como? ¿Que hay un juego en el que puedo descargar una andanada de varias toneladas de hierro y fuego contra un ataúd flotante cargadito de ingleses o gabachos?

Yo esto no me lo pìerdo!!!! Id preparándome el San Juan Nepomuceno que voyyyy!!!!

Así es!!! aunque de momento en la actual beta solo se puede hundir barcos bajo bandera británica o francesa, España entrará en breves, y yo seré uno de sus abanderados!!!....................Joder que Patriótico me ha salido esto último!!!!!!

Tengo que ir bajo bandera inglesa? ummmm Y la otra opción es la camiseta blanca atada a un palo de los gabachos? Vaya, se me ha bajado la ilusión.

De momento hundiré gabachos. Si lo compro hoy ya puedo jugar verdad? O hay que esperar al lanzamiento? Es que en la pagina pone preorder y no me mola pagar para tener que esperar...

No, te toca esperar, pero la espera no superará el mes :aplauso-6::aplauso-6:

Lo de pagar antes de catarlo, por desgracia se ha convertido en una moda, y ahora todo el mundo lo hace, te lian con la idea de que si te esperas a que salga pagarás más, yo reconozco que he caido en este, me puede y supongo que al no pillarme el BOS :icon_mrgreen::icon_mrgreen::icon_mrgreen: el karma me la ha devuelto con este.

Lo que si he notado que en el foro, hay muy buen rollo, y los encargados del proyecto están atentos resolviendo ideas, y lo mejor de todo, nos piden opinión en algunas ideas que van desarrollando.

Y si, a falta de izar el pabellón español, izaré el británico y a hundir gabachos que les tengo mucha tirria :niorisa::niorisa::niorisa:

Pillado está.

A partir el cacas de ingleses con mis 36 libras. Que la arena ya está esparcida en cubierta y entrepuentes....

http://www.todoababor.es/index.htm

Lástima que ya no la actualicen....

Saludos.

Bien, tendré un camarada con quien hundir buques ingleses y franceses.

Es una lástima lo de la web, no se que ha pasado para que dejen de actualizarla.

Por cierto, los requisitos son estos:

Minimo:

CPU: Dual Core

RAM: 4 Gbs

Gráficos: Nvidia Gtx 560 o Raedon 6870

Recommendado:

CPU: Quad Core

RAM: 8 Gbs

Gráficos: Nvidia Gtx 760

Edited by STARK