Libros Racing

Buenas!.

Últimamente tengo la sensación de que puedo llegar a pillar unas décimas mas al crono en la pista, pero algo se me escapa de las manos... Se que puedo dar mil vueltas, pero ahí llego a un límite donde se que me falta hacer algo, así que para no perder mucho tiempo dando vueltas sin sentido me he pillado esto:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Going-Faster-Mastering-Race-Driving/dp/0837602262/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1311922301&sr=8-1

Buscando mas sobre el tema, por los foros de iRacing recomendaban estos:

Racecar Engineering

1) Race Car Vehicle Dynamics, William Milliken and Douglas Milliken – this is the grand daddy of all, and contains so much detail and high end physics, particularly with regard to tire behavior, that it will require multiple readings to grasp some of the finer points. Rich in content but difficult to read.

2) Racecar Engineering & Mechanics, Paul Van Valkenburgh – this is the antidote to Milliken. Much less depth of content, but the principles are laid out in a more straightforward fashion, and is overall a nice compliment to Milliken.

3) Chassis Engineering, Herb Adams – a Cliff Notes version of Valkenburgh. Makes a good handy reference, but some of the deeper principles are not covered or explained.

4) The Physics of Racing, Brian Beckman – found this book available online as a free download. I think it covers most of the key topics of racecar physics with a good blend of detail and readability. I’d be lying if I said I’ve read much of it, but you can’t beat the price.

5) Tune to Win, Carroll Smith – Carroll was a gifted writer who was able to distill difficult concepts into a concise package. This is his best work and covers racecar physics and dynamics comprehensively. A priceless section on tuning setups makes this an important one to have.

6) Racecar Engineering (Magazine) – I highly recommend this for aspiring racing engineers. Lots of interesting articles for everything from drag racing to club racing to Le Mans to F1 and everything in between. From basic engineering to practical tips and lots of great stories from experienced car designers as well.

Driving Resources

1) Going Faster, Carl Lopez – If you only buy one book about how to drive a road course racecar, then this is it. To me it is a complete work with every important aspect of how to drive successfully.

2) Drive to Win, Carroll Smith – This is my favorite Smith book, and covers everything almost as well as Going Faster, but is not as well laid out and with less pictures and tips. Still it is a valuable resource if only for the section on tuning setups (duplicated from his Tune to Win book).

3) Bob Bondurant on High Performance Driving, Bob Bondurant – good but not great. Will suffice in a pinch, and although he writes well, it doesn’t encapsulate things concisely, and doesn’t make for a good reference book.

Car Builder Resources

1) Prepare to Win, Carroll Smith – more of a nuts and bolts book for mechanics and those working on getting the car onto the track. Not my cup of tea, but an important component to his ‘To Win’ series.

2) Engineer to Win, Carroll Smith – this is what helped to push me into the field of metallurgical engineering. I was fascinated with his explanations of materials science, though they are a little on the superficial side, and now are a little dated as it is going on 26 years old.

3) Build to Win, Keith Noakes – seems like someone was riding some coat-tails with the name of the book. A beginner’s guide to composite materials for racecars, but of little value to anyone seriously interested in the field.

Racecar Data Analysis (thanks to Chris Hall for these recommendations)

1) Data Power, Buddy Fey – a terrific resource for those interested in using telemetry data to understand car behavior and advice for how to improve from both a driving and car setup standpoint. Impossible to find though as it has been out of print for ages, and copies on eBay run $300 US. I got my copy by inter-library loan. Sadly, it’s due back soon.

2) Analysis Techniques for Racecar Data Acquisition, Jörge Segers – the Milliken of racecar telemetry. Covers most of the same ground as Data Power, but in a slightly more detailed way (many more equations and physics explanations).

3) The Race Engineer, Buddy Fey’s blog (http://buddyfey.blogspot.com/) – not to be missed. This site should be bookmarked by anyone interested in racecar setup and data analysis.

Ale, ahí lo dejo por si alguno quiere indagar en el tema ;).

Salu2!

• 2 weeks later...

¿que tal es el libro "Going Faster" de Carl López? ¿lo recomendarías?

He leido otros como la serie Speed Secrets de Ross Bentley y no están mal, pero me estoy buscando algo un poco más profundo; que trate del pilotaje y dinámica del vehículo desde el punto de vista del piloto, pero de manera algo más técnica que estos.

Estoy pensando hacerme con él. Lo ponen muy bien en esa lista. La verdad es que, después de leer el Tune To Win, de Carroll Smith (muy recomendable), estaba decidido a comprar el Drive to Win de la misma serie, pero ya tengo la duda de qué hacer.

De los de la lista que pones, puedo dar fe que el de los Milliken es una joya, pero es tan denso como cualquier libro de física medianamente avanzado, y no explica como conducir... más para ingenieros.

El Tune to Win es mucho más asequible y de él sí se extraen cosas interesantes para el piloto, muy bien explicadas y en bastante profundidad. Probablemente mi preferido hasta hoy.

Saludos

Hola chaos!. De la lista que puse, fue Going Faster el que me pillé. Hasta lo que llevo leído está muy bien escrito, los conceptos claros, buenas diagramas, etc... Yo lo recomiendo 100%, en la pista hacía cosas que no sabía por que las hacía, pero en el libro me deja claro por que hay que hacerlo así ;).

Cuando termine este, pillaré el Tune to Win, que como dices, tiene que estar bien.

Salu2!