RAZBAM: T-2 BuckEye

Silver_Dragon

Hey all, here's a new video showing some of the gradual modeling improvements. I annotated it a bit to show what I'm trying to do to make sure it matches approach instructions (and feels right while doing so).

Also, this is the initial version of the new cockpit integrated. Much better field of view with the Mk5 gunsight system out of the way on the dashboard!
Again, please keep in mind this is still VERY MUCH a work in progress and everything is subject to change as usual. I have about 3 full pages of bulleted items to continue to work on so we aren't out of the woods yet.

• 1 month later...

Hey guys, long time no update!

I've been really wrapped up in my day job, but knew I needed to give you guys an update on what's going on:
Flying Qualities/Dynamics/Performance:
I feel pretty good with the flying qualities, I'll try to generate some performance/data charts as some comparisons. In general the aircraft operates in the appropriate envelopes and it's fun to see the same behavior of the aircraft as seen in youtube videos, but the proof is in the numbers so I'll try to get that out to you guys soon.
Engine and Fuel Systems:
In general, steady state performance is golden, it's using a really cool physics based model based off NASA/DOD real time simulation block diagrams for similar engines of that generation then modified for the specific J85 we are going for. Again, I'd like to show some neat data charts for engine performance comparison.
For engine dynamics, it also models a very convincing fuel governor, which I consider the most important part of the engine model since it uses various cams, valves, etc.. to control the fuel going into the engine based off a few parameters.
For engine startup/shutdown, I'm still working on getting it right. It'd be easier if this were a parametric model, but it's physics based so it's tough to get the right dynamic behavior, will keep you guys updated on the progress.
That's all for now!

• 1 month later...
RAZBAM T-2 Update

Another quick update for you guys.
Engine Model - Looking really good and happy with it so far but definitely needs a more detailed evaluation. I've got engine startup and shutdown logic implemented and also pretty satisfied with how it looks so far. The engine model probably has more complexity in the modeling than the aero model. Simple fuel model coded up and more fidelity is being added to it this week.
I'm really excited about the engine model and how it can be quickly modified to fit any turbine type engine with minor modification (turboshaft, turbofan, etc..). If you guys want any more details on how it works I'd be happy to do a small write-up.
Flight Model - Not a whole ton of changes, working to add in dynamics of the actuators based on hydraulic pressure and electrical power status.
Landing Gear Model - More improvements made, looking better each day
Cockpit/Systems Integration - I have a ton of new stuff unit tested and integrated into the cockpit code (sensors, controls, indicators, etc...) once we have an updated cockpit model with more of the needles and switches animated we should have some cool stuff to show.
It's definitely coming together, the next major tasking for the upcoming weeks is the fuel, hydraulics, and electrical models and continuing cockpit integration alongside that.
I know the other guys are hard at work on upgrading the cockpit model and making a completely new external model so a ton of new things coming along!

• 3 weeks later...

A mi lo que me parece muy raro es que esten haciendo diversos modulos de entrenadores porque a fin de cuentas que funcion va a tener dentro de DCS si no es para vuelo acrobático como el C-101??? Porque usarlo como un entrenador para dentro de un simulador me parece llecar los cursos AVE un poco a lo extremo no???

Se puede tomar por dos vertientes:

1- Querer llevar a extremo el realismo y hacer los entrenadores para que ED mueva ficha en el tema multicabina y de paso permitir los cursos AVE por cierto numero de escuadrones, para ir entrenando para futuros aparatos mas avanzados.

2- Hacer aparatos pequeños con sistemas faciles de simular para despues saltar a aparatos mas complicados y ganar una experiencia que será buena para futuros productos.

digo yo que sera por que es empezar por lo mas basico... luego si con eso adquieres una serie de conocimientos de como funciona el API y todo el DCS, te puedes montar en una aventura mayor... nos creo que es logico... aunque a mi me hubiera gustado ver algun entrenador tambien de helice...

• 2 months later...
Un pequeño update

A quick update guys. Work has been slow going as many features and functionality are taking a ton of time to learn how to integrate with the SDK. Pretty much all the systems are modeled but I am unable to perform final integration and am also awaiting the final revisions of the cockpit and external models.
In the mean time, I have been working on the flight models for our other projects so stay tuned.

• 1 month later...

Hey all, since the T-2 updates have slowed a bit, I figured that would justify more detailed updates within their own separate thread to keep updates more organized. so here goes...
I'm just the flight model and system coder so no new eye candy, unfortunately all my stuff is under the hood.
1. Now that we have branched into multiple projects at a time, I am reworking the entire code structure to be even more modular than before. I did a little bit of this before but I'm breaking everything up even further so that common code elements can be dropped in across airframe models relatively easily. This is taking a bit of time but hopefully will save time in the long run
2. Matured some of the systems models to include engine, hydraulics, and landing gear. The code structure has been developed for the electrical system and I hope to try integrating some of the example radio code to try that out as well. I also hope to improve the weapons coding a bit. I'm also making small tweaks and improvements as I learn more about the SDK.
3. The flight model is pretty solidified. Once I get the engine model a little better I can start doing performance comparisons to the spec. I've done very minor spot tests and they look really good.
I know many of you were under the assumption that because other projects were being worked on, that the T-2 is completely dropped but that is not the case at all!
Back to work

• 3 weeks later...

T-2 Update

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2026417&postcount=1

Hey all, another update for you.
Since my last update (3/3). I have added thousands of lines of code to the project structure, added many systems, tied in as many cockpit panels/instruments as are currently clickable/animated and made the entire system code-base more modular. I have also gutted the mod of all possible lua so all the cockpit modeling is done within the C++ SDK. This thing is looking pretty good.
Instead of what's done, here's a short list of what's left!
- Radios
- Remaining/missing cockpit panel integration (pending final cockpit model)
- Increase hydraulics fidelity (pending final cockpit model)
- Test out the electrical system (pending final cockpit model)
- Tweak cockpit position (pending final external model)
- Add 50 cal Gun Pod (using stock gun pod for testing currently)
- Damage modeling for all systems (pending final cockpit and external model)
- Gear fine tuning and final integration testing (pending final external model)
What we can't do yet (but need to):
- Carrier launch and recovery